Friday, August 12, 2016

DESIGN DOSSIER: Goddess Goals on Solenn Heussaff for FHM August 2016


With an innate sultriness, a disarming charm, and of course the newlywed glow, Solenn Heussaff is easily one of the most alluring women in the Philippines. The Filipina-French beauty has long been making people fall for her sexy-kooky persona, and self-effacing humour. So when I was contacted by Maita Baello & Melville Sy of Qurator Studio to make a dress or two for her to wear to FHM's August cover shoot, and they told me the gorgeous concept, I was beyond ecstatic. Even if "sexy" wasn't really my go-to look, I knew I had to be a part of the dreamy, Renaissance-inspired shoot.



There's always a thin line between something being sexy and a little pushing the envelope, and just a bit too much. And yet with Solenn giving the style time carte blanche to go crazy, I knew we hand to make the dress a little bit scandalous. Hence, a down-to-there plunge held precariously together by slivers of a strap, finished off with a diaphanous tulle skirt. In creating the bodice, I wanted to make the tulle haphazardly drape over the bosom, be a little messy, but still flatter her gorgeous figure.


Since the concept of the shoot were Renaissance paintings, I wanted to give the garment an effortless feel, with a certain diaphanous softness. I couldn't help but be inspired by The Birth of Venus by Botticelli, the eerie romanticism of John William Waterhouse, and the goddesses of John William Godward. At first glance, this photograph of of a woman caught lounging at a private moment truly feels right at home with these rich paintings. The mood is intimate, romantic, and artistic, with Solenn altogether fearless and vulnerable. Truly a visionary concept from FHM and the entire team, of Maita and Melville of Qurator, assisted by Sharmaine Tanael & Alexine Castillo,  photographer Mark Nicdao, makeup artist Robbie Pinera, and hairstylist RJ dela Cruz.


I couldn't be more pleased at how these photos turned out and am truly excited to be able to flex my design muscles and come up with more creative projects! Some my usual brand of feminine, and some a little bit over the edge and out of the box, which I think every artist ought to do once in a while.




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!