Friday, September 23, 2016

BABY COUTURE: Lovely Lace for Isabel & Emma's Christening

Babies are my soft spot. I just think they're too adorable, and I honestly jump at the chance to make tiny sized clothes for these tiny sized people. So when Lola Helen Pascual asked me to design outfits for the double christening of Isabel and Emma in their hometown of Guiginto, Bulacan, I was absolutely thrilled. As both babies were born in the US, it was also a chance for their family to get together and meet the babies for the first time. That included me, who is incidentally godmother to Isabel, my first and only inaanak (#adulting!!!).  My brother on the other hand, was asked to be godparent to Emma. 

MOM MACY WITH BABY EMMA, DAD RICO AND MOM MAY WITH BABY ISABEL. PHOTO BY MARILENE PEREZ. 
Their lola wanted christening couture inspired by European royalty, with vintage inspired lace and intricate designs that could be kept as heirlooms. Of course the most notable feature of these dresses is that they're very long, giving them a really grand feel. Of course who could forget the robe worn by
Prince George when he was baptised, all ruffly like the Alexander McQueen ensemble of his Mom Duchesse Kate. Princess Sofia and Prince Alexander of Sweden, as well as Crown Princess Mary of Denmark with of the new royal twins also looked amazing in ivory lace. The gown worn by Prince Alexander was reported to have been 100 years old, and hopefully we've also created a new tradition with these beautiful gowns. 

PRINCESS SOFIA & PRINCE ALEXANDER OF DENMARK; PRINCE GEORGE AND THE DUCHESSE OF CAMBRIDGE; PRINCESS MARY AND ONE OF THE ROYAL TWINS OF DENMARK 
Of course babies don't really care much about dresses, so making them comfortable was key. We used soft lace and then lined it with charmeuse satin so they'd be silky to the touch. As the babies were cousins, I wanted dresses that each had their own personality but will still look cohesive at the event. 

We used a dotted lace for Isabel with a nice scalloped edge, which I thought looked more babyish. Also as the pattern was smaller, it was perfect for then 7-month-old Isabel. 


For Emma, we chose a swirly floral lace and puff sleeves to give her a more fairytale feel. Both dresses had what I called "princess peplums", as this design somehow always reminded me of Cinderella's blue ball gown. I think it really gave the garments a nice touch and kept it from looking too long. 


We also made matching bonnets, but to be honest, the babies didn't really like them so much. With our tropical weather, I couldn't blame them! 

THE BABIES WITH THEIR PARENTS AND GRANDPARETS

More photos of the adorable babies and the Pascual family after the jump!




BABY EMMA TAKES A BREAK

BABY ISABEL IS READY FOR HER OUTFIT CHANGE

BABY ISABEL WITH HER AUNT, MAYNEE

BABY EMMA 

BABY ISABEL WITH HER COUSIN LINDSAY AND DAD RICO

BABY ISABEL WITH MY BROTHER MARK 

BABY ISABEL AND HER GOWN WITH A ROYAL TRAIN

I really hoped you guys liked the dresses we made for these Emma and Isabel, and I hope when they grow up they'll look at these photos with fondness. Being able to baptise them as new members of the Christian faith amongst the overflowing love of family and friends was truly a blessing. As for me, I do look forward to creating more dresses for my inaanak Isabel, Emma, and other tiny people in the future. 







No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!