Thursday, February 26, 2015

BRIDAL BLISS: My Best Friend's Wedding

It is a rare privilege for designers to become a part of the lives of their brides, as through loving hands they literally craft the last garment one wears as a single woman. It's a transformative piece, one sprinkled in fairy dust and bestowed on with such power and reverence that holds us all in its thrall. And if it's to be worn by your childhood bestie, then I do think it becomes all the more magical.
PHOTO BY JUN SONG
That is the story of me, and Karaine, my BFF from grade school who moved to Australia and met the love of her life Victor. I was in New York (studying at FIT and interning at Marchesa and Vera Wang) when she got engaged and given that we were continents apart, we weren't sure how to pull off making her princess wedding gown. But love can truly move mountains and I was so excited that I had to come back home to Manila to start making it! 

Like all crazy endeavours, we started off with a plan, a.k.a. a sketch. She ultimately chose this design, a drop waist lace bodice finished off with ruffles galore! 


She could only come to Manila once or twice for fittings before the big day, so we had to make it work. At this point, I would like to commend my friend's immense trust in me, that I would come up with something pretty for her special day. During the three months or so that we were crafting her gown, all she got were progress photos. We got so fond of the dress we've nicknamed her Ms. Fluffles (now, Mrs. Fluffles, naturally). With more than a hundred yards of organza (plus plus plus), I would say she's earned her moniker. 


I got to Perth two weeks before the wedding, and with bated breath, Karaine tried on her gown. Thankfully, it was a great fit and apart from a few length issues, it was perfect!!! More importantly, the bride-to-be was happy, and that's all a designer-friend could ever ask for!

The wedding was held on a gorgeously sunny day in Perth, Australia. The ceremony was in a quaint chapel in Fremantle filled with a lot of history, followed by a lovely reception of close family and friends at Caversham House in Swan Valley. The couple's adventurous photographer, Jun Song, took these photos around the port city of Fremantle and at the wedding reception venue. 





Aside from the wedding gowns, my other favourite thing to make are flower girl dresses! Who could resist all that cuteness, really?! Karaine wanted mini-mi gowns but she still wanted them to look like sweet little girls. The result, organza ball gowns with lovely pink sashes!


The two flower girls plus a third, honorary one who was smart enough to match the color scheme! 


This was us at flower girl Amelia's dress fitting in Perth. I also got her measurements via email so we were so happy the dress fit. Her little sister was equally excited and joined us for a nice, little cuddle on the floor. 



And finally, the bride and her entourage. It was like a mini-reunion as it had been me, another bosom buddy from grade school Stephanie, and the bride's cousin Wena. 


And so ends my little tale of love, rendered in cascading ruffles, beautiful bows, and sparkly lace. But as this bridal gown bids you adieu, for it's served its mission well, it does usher in a beautiful new life for the couple filled with a lifetime of bliss and a future of hope.


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!